Wednesday, November 5, 2008

It's Been A Long Time Coming

I want to share a song that makes me feel more peaceful than any other. It's one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard. Makes me so very GLADD.

I love the haunting, gorgeous melody. I love the circular theme of death being a new beginning. Peace and beauty in death, the soul marching onward as always to something new, and better.

It reminds me of my favorite Whitman passage:

"The smallest sprout shows there is really no death,
And if ever there was it led forward life....

All goes onward and outward....and nothing collapses,
And do die is different from what any one supposed, and luckier."

The lyrics:

It's been a long time coming
But I know you are the one
Here at home at last the days have ceased

It's been a long time coming
And I know we've just begun
All the pain has passed and there is peace

If the breath was warm and tender
Now the breath becomes a yawn
And I've been returned to sender
And I'm better since I'm gone...

It's been a long time coming
But I know you are the one
Here with time erased I'm at my best

It's been a long time coming
And I know we've just begun
Without a pretty face I can just rest

But the march is still ongoing
I can hear the drummers' roll
And it can't show signs of slowing
It is true, dear, it's my soul...

It's been a long time coming
But I know you are the one
Here at home at last the days have ceased

It's been a long time coming
And I know we've just begun
All the pain has passed and there is peace.

This morning we woke up to snow. Winter has come. Winter reminds me of death, which is really just the beginning of Spring. And when I heard Obama say "it's been a long time coming" in his speech, I immediately heard this song playing in my head. All the years of pain and suffering of African Americans in their long quest for equality has given birth to what was witnessed last night. Their sacrifices have made possible this day. I am filled with so much joy, I don't know where to put it.


Quaking Aspen in winter (Image credit: darkmatter [flickr])

May the hope for peace march on forever.

No comments:

For Whenever I Need a Good Weep