Sunday, October 19, 2008
Yes To Happy Farms!
Proposition 2. Please California, please, please, pleeeeease do this so that I don't have to break the bank to feed my meat-eating family members drug-free, humanely-attained food! I can't sleep thinking about all those caged chickens, pigs, and cows. Actually, that's an bit of an exaggeration, I'm not really losing sleep over this, but it really makes me sad when I think about it.
They feed us for heaven's sake, so why can't we demand that they get to move around, be outside, not be imprisoned? How we treat all living things reflects our gratitude, our worthiness to partake of it at all. I really feel it is wrong to mistreat animals before we take their lives to sustain our own.
I've heard all the arguments against but the bottom line for me is ethics FIRST. Industry must find a way to do business in a moral way or they shouldn't do it at all. I hear meat and dairy farmers say it can't be done, that it won't work, they'll be out of business. But many organic farmers have done it, so I know it's possible.
Just learned: a "natural" egg does not necessarily come from a cage-free chicken! You've got to actually do some research and not rely on the label. Just found out after checking out their website, that my favorite local brand is not cage-free as I'd assumed!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Absolutely I'll be voting Yes on this, Dee!!!
And any argument that says, "It can't be done," I say, "Where there's a will, there's a way." Humans are naturally designed to adapt. And if we can't adapt our farms to allow animals to actually walk and fly around and still make it a lucrative business... well, actually I have no ending to that sentence because I know it's possible.
Like I said: WILL ---> WAY.
I refuse to buy caged eggs anymore after watching Napoleon Dynamite! Gross! Cage free-grain fed dairy and meat is the way to go.
Of course I'll be voting YES! Turns out we should be buying locally from farms we actually visit...even the "cage free" label can be misleading...as well as many other "claims".
Post a Comment