Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Memoirs

This blog could easily turn into Dee Loves Books. I could write about books every day, forever. I'll read almost anything, but memoirs have always been one of my favorites. I was on such a memoirs kick for so long once that I had to take a break. Now one of my book clubs is reading this one:


I wasn't quite ready to pick up another just yet, but I'm so glad I did! I am really, really loving this book! I would highly recommend it to anyone.

Here is are some of my very favorite memoirs:


The Liars' Club


LOVE Maya Angelou. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings. This is an autobiography, really.


The Color of Water: A Black Man's Tribute to His White Mother.


Falling Leaves: The Memoir of an Unwanted Chinese Daughter. Soooo, so good!


And my #1 favorite ever: Angela's Ashes. I've never laughed and cried so much. I had to put the book down several times, to take laughing breaks.


The Bell Jar. Not a memoir, but reads like one, so I had to include it.


Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood! Again, not a memoir, but for some reason I had to include it on this list. It feels like one, I guess. And one of my favorite books ever! I call Sydney, Sydeelu, because of Siddalee. Sometimes I call her Sydda too!

The next ones I'll be reading:



Running With Scissors


What is the What. Not a memoir, but based on a true life story, about a boy in Sudan.

Do you have any memoir suggestions for me? What is your favorite? Have you read any of these?

7 comments:

Ann Marie said...

What a great book list! I have not read ANY memoirs. Shame on me! I'm excited to jump in on all your recommendations.

Jackie said...

Those look good. I read Angela's Ashes and it is really funny! I love how superstitious The Irish are! Maybe I'll read a memoir after I'm done with Host! The Chinese one looks good.

Stacy said...

Nice try, but still not sold. At least you got one of your book clubs to read it :)
I must not be interested in Memoirs, I have not read any of those.

Anonymous said...

Heh Deann, you so inspire me. This is such an amazing book list.


P.S. What about Twilight? :)J/K

Dee said...

you're missing out Stacy!

Dee said...

Stacy, my book club chose Glass Castle, not me. That's why I started reading it. I just tried to get our neighborhood to read it, which failed, as you know. :)

lindseyflood said...

i almost bought that book you are reading. now i definitely have to pick it up. Memoirs are my favorite too. i've read a couple of the ones you have and i'll have to write down some of the others! it will be a good switch of pace after i'm done with the twilight series.

For Whenever I Need a Good Weep