Friday, May 16, 2008

My Grandmother's Etiquette


Of course, not all of this stuff is crazy and outdated. Much of it is still very sound advice. Take this bit on dieting, for instance. I have been guilty of thoughtlessly elaborating on my latest diet strategies to people who probably did not appreciate it. Original post is here.

Dieting, while not exactly a habit, is included for convenience in this chapter because, like smoking, drinking, and gum chewing, it requires consideration on the part of the dieter to keep his diet from being a nuisance or a bore to others. The same etiquette might well be applied to people who have allergies.

The points are very simple. Few of your friends want a blow-by-blow description of what you should and shouldn't eat, or how many pounds you have lost or gained. Certainly none of your acquaintances wants the details. So just let your appearance speak for itself, and be satisfied with your own feeling of virtue.


When you are being entertained, feel perfectly free to refuse a dish you can't eat, with a simple, "No, thank you." There's no need for an explanation...

6 comments:

Stacy said...

I partly agree with this, although I think it is sometimes helpful when people tell you what has been working for them diet wise. Gives you more ideas and tips.

lindseyflood said...

I love that you posted this. It seems that EVERYONE is one a diet these days and I get bored of hearing about it.

Lane said...

This is so true. I should think about it more often. It's just that when you're dieting it's the ONLY thing on your mind! Luckily my diet attempts are usually short-lived so I don't have to work at diet etiquette too much :)

Julie said...

I wish I could give a blow by blow description of my "diet". But sadly it doesn't exsist. But I am so okay with that!

Anonymous said...

I started my day with a #1 from McDonalds, then finished the day off with a #1 from In-n-out. I subsituted the drink for a strawberry milkshake. Then I had some Ben N Jerry's for dessert. Everyone is on a diet but me and when I decide to eat healthy again I'll keep it quiet. But I had to confess the worst day of junk food eating I have ever had! Loved the post. I miss grandma!

tiffany knox said...

you are such an amazing person I love your blog! did you seriously cook all that in one night? I am impressed. how do you stay so skinny?
talk to you soon!
Tiff

For Whenever I Need a Good Weep