Thursday, December 4, 2008

Book List

In the middle of a book obsession. Almost done with this one:


I'm loving it, loving Steinbeck and his beautiful images of America, both the landscape and the people. I feel like I'm getting to know the writer intimately. I really like this man! Reading his thoughts on America at the dawn of the civil rights movement, just before the election of JFK, and before environmentalism is so very interesting. Many credit Steinbeck as being one of the first advocates for protecting the environment, as many passages in Travels with Charley are musings about pollution, waste, and the disappearance of local communities. I'm so so so so glad I am reading this book. Jo Jo, thank you for the recommendation!

And cannot wait to get started on these!


The book that sprung the Environmentalist movement.


Anything about Afghanistan is a good read for me these days! Ever since Kite Runner and Three Cups of Tea I find myself wanting to learn more and more about these cultures. I think this one will expose more about the culture of women in particular.


Really, really can't wait to start this follow-up to End Of America. I feel that to be a better citizen I must be aware of my rights and pay attention to my government.

Just learned there is a documentary based on End of America.

The trailer:


More about the freedom campaign here.

About Naomi Wolf.

Always looking for more great reads so please share!

3 comments:

Kimmy said...

OOOH! I loved 3 cups of tea and the kite runner. I will have to catch these books at the library. I'm such a slow reader, time wise. I just can't find the time to sit and read! Thanks Deann!

jewels said...

I want to know how Kabul Beauty School is, if you own that book can I borrow it when you are done.

Dee said...

Hey Julie-
Yes, you can totally borrow it! I started today it's very interesting already!

For Whenever I Need a Good Weep