
Spoiler warning! Do not read if you have not read Sense & Sensibility or seen the movie!
Remember Marianne's heartbreak in Sense and Sensibility, the "OH Willoughby!" scene? In my younger days, after each experience of being made a fool by "love", I would recall Marianne and watch her in this movie, this scene, and it would ease my heartsickness. I was Marianne, crying out to Willoughby in the rain, quoting her Shakespeare, utterly shaken! (Dramatic I know, but dramatic is what I am!) It made me feel better! After these "Willoughby" mishaps, all you really find out is what love isn't. Then you must pick up and keep on searching. Shakespeare, Jane Austin, Kate Winslet....all my heroes!
Shakespeare knew true love! One of my favorite sonnets (all because of this movie):
Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments; love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O, no! it is an ever-fixed mark,
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wandering bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle's compass come;
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
If this be error and upon me prov'd,
I never writ, nor no man ever lov'd.
Here's my favorite actress, in my favorite scene, from my favorite movie, from my favorite book! Love is not love....that looks on tempests and is never shaken!
8 comments:
Oh my gosh, I love this scene and love this movie. We must have similar taste (see my blog profile).
I love that movie! It is beautiful!
I love sappy love stories! I love this movie! It's one of my favorites too! Oh Willoughby!!!!!! She was so blind and in love! hahaha!
I Love this movie! I need to watch it again it has been so long that I don't even remember the whole whilloughby story! I love all Jane Austen movies.
If only we could all quote Shakespeare off the top of our heads, when things are most miserable, rather than saying or doing things most unthoughtful.
A good book Yes or No? I know I know I have never read nor have I seen the movies. Have I not lived yet? Is it a must? Talk to me little sister.
I could watch these movies over and over and over. I love Jane! When we were in England we drove by her home in Bath. There is a Museum there but we didn't have time to go. It would have been fun for me, not so much for Justin! I just watched Pride and Prejudice two nights ago. It makes me all giddy inside!
Looove Shakespeare Sonnets! I don't like knowing who he supposedly wrote too, so I try not to think about that, but they are "Time"less. Your blog is so fun!
Post a Comment